Photo-blogs are a great way to show photos. With Live Writer you have pretty good control over the size and placement of pictures. Here are some tips for arranging the images just the way you want.
First, be sure you know the width of you blog. This helps you to plan your layout in advance.
Arranging photos side by side
To position several images in a row proceed as follows:
- Insert the left-most photo. In picture tools set the Alignment to Left.
- Insert the next photo. Again set its alignment to Left.
- For the last photo set the alignment to Inline. This will prevent any text from being placed next to the images.
Hint: Some browsers have their own ideas, to keep them at bay set a margin value for each image. I like to use 5 pixels for the Bottom margin.
Hint: If your photos have different aspect ratios due to cropping, set the vertical dimension for all photos in a row to the same value. The photos will appear neater that way.
Hint: With photos in a row there may be a large blank space at the right. You can even the space out by setting the left margin of the first photo to about half the pixel value of the space. Or even larger if you want to move the images toward the right margin.
Placing a vertical column of photos to the right of a larger one
Having a column of pictures next to a larger one can be very attractive. This arrangement does require a little more care. Here is the procedure:
- Insert the large photo first. Set its alignment to Left. Set the right margin for this image to a small value, I like 5 px, to provide separation between the photos.
- Insert the smaller photos one be one. Set their alignment to Inline if you do not want text alongside.
- Set the top and bottom margins of the center image to balance the spacing so they will look good on the page.
Hint: If you want text alongside on the right side, set the alignment of the small images to Left. Also set their right margins to provide separation between the photos and the text.
Hint: If you want a column of text between the photos, set the alignment for the small photos to Right and set a left margin value for each.
Place the small images into text positions so they will look about right. You will not be able to make this perfect.
Hint: If you want to show bullets, the text must be on the left of the images, otherwise the bullet symbols will not show.
Arrange a column of pictures to the left of a larger one.
- The large photo must be inserted first. Set the alignment Right and set a left margin value.
- The small photos can then be placed with their alignment set to Inline.
With these procedures you can arrange your photos for best appeal. Remember, the size of photos can be changed to any horizontal or vertical value. Just be sure that Lock aspect ratio is set to avoid stretching or squashing them.
© 2012 Ludwig Keck